Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Nuss Bar Removal

In 2013, three years after my Nuss surgery, I consulted with my doctor and we decided that it was time to go ahead and have the bar removed. Now, with this procedure, the reason they keep the bar in your chest for so long is because there is no way for them to physically tell whether or not the cartilage connecting your ribs to your sternum has grown back completely and able to support your chest wall. X-rays can show you that there is cartilage there again, but it can't show you if it is sturdy enough to support your rib cage on its own without the bar. For this reason, the keep the bar inside adults for 3-5 years, just to make sure. In children I believe they only keep it in for 1-2 years because of how fast their bodies are growing.

I decided to have mine taken out at three years instead of five for two reasons. The first reason was that my husband and I really wanted to have a baby and the doctor suggested that I not get pregnant while the bar was in my chest; since then, I have done further research and there have been several women who have gotten pregnant with the bar still in them and everything was just fine. My second reason was that on my left side I felt a constant pinching and tearing right where the bar was that made it uncomfortable for me to work out our do things that required me to stretch my left arm up. Since I am a very active person this made it very annoying for me every time I wanted to work out, to feel like I had to limit my left side on all things. So I talked with my doctor about each of these things, and he said that he believed I was fine to have it taken out at three years, especially since my bones seemed to be very pliable and flexible. I was SO EXCITED!!  In fact, excited is an understatement, I was over the moon that this thing was going to be out of me once and for all and I would be able to finally look normal.

 This was the bar that was removed from my rib cage 

The doctors told me that it was a simple same day procedure and I should be fine in 2-3 days, but I didn't really trust that since my recovery time was WAY off at the beginning of all of this. So I scheduled an entire week off of work just to be sure. My husband took me in early in the morning and they hooked me up to the IVs and everything, which luckily they got right on the first try this time, nurses like that are the best! Then they wheeled me back, knocked me out, and took that bar out of my chest. I woke up about and hour and a half later in my room. I was so tired I could barely open my eyes, but my husband kept trying to wake me up and talk to me. They told me that they needed me to drink some juice before and wait about 10 minutes for it to settle before they could let me go home. It was at that time that I realized I wasn't in any pain, not even a little bit. I wasn't sore, my left side wasn't pinching any more and I felt great! I was so tired though I couldn't really jump up and celebrate. They told us we could leave, and I walked out of there just fine. I got home and passed out for a few hours, which felt great. I felt so good that the next day I called up my boss and said that I would be going back to work the next day and wouldn't need the rest of the week off. I was so relieved that this process was quick and easy, especially with how long and painful the first surgery was.

This is my husbands hand comparing the size of the bar

Going back a little bit to my left side pinching and tearing. I had mentioned this to my doctor a few times before I had the bar removed, and he had told me that it wasn't anything, and it was probably just because I was babying that side and if I just worked through the pain it would get better. As nice of a doctor as he is, he was wrong ha ha. I tried working through it and it just made it more uncomfortable. Luckily, I was able to prove the doctor wrong when he went in to remove the bar. After the bar removal, the doctor told me that the bar had somehow adhered/attached to my rib, so that each time I moved too much on that side, the bar was tearing the cartilage and pinching me on the inside. When he removed the bar, he actually had to saw away a small part of my one rib that it was attached to in order to get it out. So, moral of the story is that YOU know your body best, not the doctors :) I don't blame Dr. Mitchell though, he is still one of the best doctors I have ever had, but they can't feel what you are feeling so they have to go off of what they know and have had experience with.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Tara,

    Thanks for your detailed stories about yr PE.

    I really hope you can read my messages.

    I am a helpless mother. I have a PE husband. I totally do not mind about my husband's PE. To me, he is a super nice guy that already enough for me to get married with him. However, when i had got pregnant, this is the moment i started to worry about whether children will inherits PE. FInally, I found out that it will.

    I have 3 daughters finally, with their age 9, 6, 3.

    The first one looks perfectly fine to me. The youngest one is too small to tell me anything. But the 2nd one is the one look different to me. She has mild dented chest at right side, but not sternum.

    It drove me crazy for past 1-2 weeks. I saw many ppl saying that nuss procedure cant guarantee much, where recurrence could happen. To me, it was the end of my whole life.

    I was in deep depression. Well, even though i m still have logical thinking that keep reminding myself to be tough and it will end up making me depression if i still cant pull myself out of this nightmare thoughts.

    I keep relieving myself by telling this story to many many people, to get some advice and help. I read a lot with internet information.

    I kept finding info from internet where nutrition or exercise do help? But the info seems to be very very limited. The ones successfully 'fix' PE with exercising is not seems to be real case, where the muscle is the one that hide the PE, is not the bone has rised up. The only hope (exercise can help) hit me down painfully!!!

    I consulted 1 chiropractic and she told me, the only thing i can do is to wait and observe. I cant stop anything and do anything. Exercise can a bit in the sense that it may be able to maintain the good posture.

    I cried every moment, thinking that the life would be tougher for my daughter. I love my daughter. I have never given up on her when people said she is not clever and good in languages. I help her by reading many many story books to her. I proved that she is fine bcoz finally now, she can read very smoothly.

    Everything comes with hardwork. I always believe that. But now i cant do anything.

    1 day, I read nuss procedure again. I found that it is not really so bad. It could be the hope for my daughter. BUt again, the comment from doctor is always 'dun do if it is not affecting yr health!!'

    Sigh. When thinking logically again, nuss could be the hope and great hope. I started to be positive again. Life seems to be a bit brighter.

    Hope to hear from you again.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a 38 year old female with severe PE and flares to one side dramatically. I have had an amazing childhood, adolescents, and adulthood. My parents never pointed it out to me in a negative way. It was never an issue. I was beautiful the way I was and still am. I am married to a man who loves my body and I've given birth to four children.
      I was, and still am, a bit self conscious about it at times. Mainly because clothing can be a challenge. But what woman isn't self conscious about a part of her body. However it rarely crosses my mind.
      I am fit but my heart rate and breathing are challenged with strenuous activities.
      I would suggest not talking about your distraught at all with your daughter.
      Please don't make her feel bad because her body is different. This condition is harder mentally and emotionally than physically in my opinion. Let her know that you love her unconditionally.
      She can have a full amazing life with or without surgery.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. That is really great reply. I know this is old conversation. However I am very happy that I was able to find something regarding nuss and pregnancy. I am 31 years old woman and I have two nuss bars. It is just one year now so still long way to go. I completely agree with you i had very complicated recovery it took me 7 months to be able to go to work. I had terrible pain and took opioids to be able to live i got pneumonia and water in lungs. I am so greatful to read that you had such a smooth recovery from the removal. I must say i am worried as i had such a terrible pain. I wish to have kids soon too but i will wait till it will be removed. Thank you for sharing your story! Good luck to you and your family

      Delete
    4. That is really great reply. I know this is old conversation. However I am very happy that I was able to find something regarding nuss and pregnancy. I am 31 years old woman and I have two nuss bars. It is just one year now so still long way to go. I completely agree with you i had very complicated recovery it took me 7 months to be able to go to work. I had terrible pain and took opioids to be able to live i got pneumonia and water in lungs. I am so greatful to read that you had such a smooth recovery from the removal. I must say i am worried as i had such a terrible pain. I wish to have kids soon too but i will wait till it will be removed. Thank you for sharing your story! Good luck to you and your family

      Delete
  2. what is the best age to do? my daughter is 5-6 years old only :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that the best age is between 10 and 12 years old. This is because their bones are still growing, so there is less likelihood of the pectus excavatum returning.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story! Do you have pictures before and after?
    Im 39 and am considering getting it fixed (never thought it was an option)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not recommend :( I am 22 and I got it at 20 :( it is unbearable I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. No one will take it out either :(

      Delete
    2. I don't have after pictures, but mine didn't come out completely after the surgery and then it sunk back in completely after a while. That being said, I wouldn't do the surgery unless it was causing other issues like scoliosis or heart problems. If it's just a cosmetic issue I would leave it and just learn to love it.

      Delete